As I walk to claim my luggage a man approaches me and asks me if I this is my first time in Spain. (Is it that obvious I'm an American?) I say yes and continue to mention it's my first time in Europe. He proceeds to tell me I should be safe and make sure I keep my stuff secured. He reassures me there is pickpocketing then basically continues walking before me. (Did he just pick pocket me and now he's messing with me?) I immediately check my carry ons of any unzipped zippers and check for my passport and money. All there. My once overwhelming smile is half alive because of my now current fear of pick pocketers. Thank you random guy.
I take a taxi to my apartment hoping I don't get kidnapped or robbed. I imagine these scenarios due to all the horror stories everyone feels the need to tell me. Well good news!...I'm alive and still have everything I own. Taxi driver was so kind. I tried to speak as much Spanish so he didn't rip me off. He said I had a bit of a Castilian accent? Jose, my driver, spoke so fast and with an accent I was not accustomed to. I understood a little over half of the conversation which is good. The rest of it I tried to piece together and simply smiled while nodding my head. (It's better than a blank stare.)
The buildings became taller and more beautiful as I entered the city. (I hope I don't get lost on my own.) We wrap around my block (I live on a one-way street) and he helps me unload my luggage. (50 buck for my ride. Cheese and Rice!) Luckily my landlord, Petra, is standing outside waiting for me. I greet her with a handshake and a kiss on each cheek. (I had forgotten about the kiss on the cheek part.) She's a 60 year old blonde with a big heart. She helps me take my luggage up to my room (yes, all 4 bags). Luckily there is an elevator. She shows me the apartment and to my surprise she has provided bedding, towels, and some toiletries. Fully furnished, internet, and tv. How did I luck out? She tells me to nap and she'll be back to show me around the neighborhood. (She's too kind.) I nap and she returns to walk me around. After a little, she leaves me to explore on my own with a goal to purchase a phone.
My exploration took me to El Corte Ingles. (Not sure how to add accents to my words so don't judge me.) I walk around looking for a phone and familiarizing myself with the supermarket section. (It's a huge department/supermarket store.) Looong story short, after a few hours I bought Mac makeup and walked home for lunch (6pm). Note: I never accomplished my goal of purchasing a phone. Also, I had a death grip on my purse due to all of the horror stories about pick pocketing. It's not as scary as people say it is, however, I still have the night life to explore.
Now I'm home relaxing before I meet up with someone my coworker, Yolanda, put me in contact with. Hoping to make at least one friend the first day. (Picture below: The view from my bedroom window.)
Details are everything. Wish you were here wish me. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment