I had fb messaged Mario, the guy Yolanda put me in contact with. We agreed to meet at Plaza del Sol. I had googled what bus to take and I was on my way....until I stepped onto the street in front of my apartment building and couldn't remember which way to go. After asking a few locals, I had found my bus #20. I got on and didn't know how to pay. I had my fortune cookie sized paper proving I had paid for 10 metro/bus trips. (But how do I use it?) I ask the lady sitting up front and she tells me to put it in the box next to the driver. (But what if it doesn't give me my paper back???) I do it and it sucks in my paper, but only to stamp it. It shoots it back out and I'm good to go. (phew, worried for nothing.) I sit and think, Okay how do I know which stop is mine? Again, grateful for the helpful lady. I walk alone to Plaza del Sol around 10pm. (Why did I think this was a good idea?)
(Picture below: A building on a street walking towards Plaza del Sol)
I get to the center and there are sooo many people. I walk down into the dome looking thing which leads to the metro. Good thing it's more complicated than I thought. I decide to stand outside the entrance of the metro. (Or at least I think it's the entrance.) I realize I don't have any way to contact Mario. How in the world is he to know where I am? I'm 20 minutes early. Do I just stand around? So, what do I do? Do what I do best and speak to a stranger of course. :) I approach a girl, Klere, standing in the center. I ask her if she's waiting for someone and if I can stand next to her. She probably is creeped out, but says yes anyway. I introduce myself and we talk about what our plans are for the night. She's waiting for a friend to go to the discoteca (club). I tell her I'm waiting for a stranger and I don't know how to tell him where I am. (haha I'm realizing how crazy I am.) We exchange phone numbers and she invites me to go with her. I agree, but ask her if she'll text Mario to inform him of our plans. Plus, if he's creepy than at least I have two other girls with me.
We walk to the place photographed above. Klere and Diana (originally from Venezuela) are getting a drink and relaxing before going to la discoteca. They ask me if I want something: coke, beer, wine, tea. I decide I may want tea and ask her if they have Chai Tea. (It was worth a try.) She has no idea so we ask the worker. She doesn't know either. After a good 10 or so minutes I decide no tea. I'll take a water instead. (There was a huge line after us. Perhaps because I couldn't decide. Zach you'd appreciate that.) We sit outside and wait for Mario to show. As we wait, Klere tells me about the girls standing on the street. They are hookers. haha Oh.
Mario shows up and we go to a bar he likes. It's a famous place for international travelers. I have a very good glass of wine while we all chat and listen to the DJ. It gets to be around midnight and we take a taxi to la discoteca. I dance the night away and finally get home around 6am or so. (Note: The club was still full when we left.)
Saturday 1/14/12
I wake up close to 2pm from being so tired. I get ready and meet Mario at Plaza del Sol again. (The daylight makes everything ten times more beautiful.) He takes me to Casa Paniza for a good Spanish meal. (It's delicious!) The waiter comes to the table and tells us what the meals are for the day. (Dishes change each day so there is no menu.) After we're told what dishes are available Mario looks at me as if I knew everything the waiter said. I let Mario order for me. :) We get two dishes and finish with dessert. MMMM. It's REAL food. REAL homemade tasting food. Three hours later we leave to get tea. Mario teaches me to put milk in my tea. (Why haven't I known about this?) We watch some of the REAL Madrid game then leave to his friend's house. (10pm)
His friends from work gather each month to have a little cocktail-like dinner. I meet his friends and their wives. All so sweet. Two tables are filled with finger food. I try everything, no regrets. I'd like to do this when I get home. After some chatting and lots of laughter we leave for a club. (Me and the three single guys. The couples went home.) We arrive at Palacio Fortuny. Mario got us in for free and it was super fun. Very classy. A lot of American songs were playing so I felt at home. Mario's friends are a blast to be around. (Pic: Us in the patio area of the club.)
Sunday 1/15/12
I tell Mario instead of him driving me to get a phone today I should use the metro. (Good and bad idea) He tells me where to go, what lines to get on/off...now it's up to me to actually do it. Well, there are multiple levels, lines, stops, etc that go along with the metro. I got lost at every stop, BUT I made it. I'm really good at asking strangers for help. I meet up with Mario near El Corte Ingles where we get a phone. We walk towards his apartment afterwards and come across a Zara store. I say I need to go in sometime and he says to go in now. (Bad idea. He obviously doesn't know me.) We go in and the process of looking at every item begins! I want everything in that store. After awhile I decide, I either have to try stuff on (which could take hours) or save his poor soul from this and return when I'm alone. We left before I did any damage to my savings account. We get to his place and finish setting up my new phone service from Movistar. We hang out and he cooks me a yummy dinner. One dish is a salad and he asks if I like tuna. (Kate Poulton would you like to answer this question?) Mario decides I'm going to try it in my salad. I ask if he'll be offended if I don't like it. haha (At least I'm being honest.)
Conclusion: It tastes like chicken! It was delicious! Apparently it was real tuna, the really good stuff from the market. (Pic: Mario making the dressing for the first dish, salad.)
No comments:
Post a Comment